It isn't a fritter, it isn't a dumpling. It isn't fried or even boiled. Got it what's this snack? Relax, we make ourself clear! The snack is made with potato and a little flour, stuffed with chicken and tomato and it's brown in a skillet greased with olive oil. You taste a creamy, light and delicious potato snack. If could be better, it's healthy!
2 tbsp oil
1 large egg
3 tbsp milk
3 tbsp flour
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp butter
Freshly ground pepper
2 chopped garlic cloves
300g chicken breast, boiled and shredded
1. Peel the potatoes, cut into cubes and put into a microwave bag, add oil and mix. Close the bag, make 3 small holes in the bag or it'll explode. Place in a appropriate plate and microwave on high for 6 minutes. If necessary, cook for more one minute or just until the potato is easily slid with a fork, do not ovecook or your potatoes will loose the texture.
2. Mash them immediately. Add egg and milk and mix. Add flour and salt and mix with your hand. Let rest for 15 minutes.
3. Heat olive oil and butter and fry garlic, oregano and pepper together. Add chicken and fry a little. Add about 80ml rum and heat until evaporate the alcohol, making moist the chicken filling. Add tomatoes and mix. Turn off the heat and let cool.
4. Flour the hands, take a portion of the potato dough and make a circle. Put a little already cooled filling in the center and fold the borders to center, gently sealing the circle. Place in a floured surface.
5. Heat a skillet, grease with olive oil. In low heat, fry the potato snacks. When is golden brown, gently turn over to brown the other side. Serve warm.
COOK'S TIPS: The microwaved potato isn't too moist, perfect to make the snack dough. But you can cook it in the traditional way, in a pan with water.
Do not add so much flour or the dough won't be light and tender.
The dough is really delicate and ask for some care when you'll mold it. But after fried it's gooey and fine in texture.
The chicken filling will be yummier if the chicken was boiled with tomato, carrot, celery, garlic and oregano.
YIELD: 10 potato snacks.